[GRLUG] PCI VGA Help

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Apr 20 10:09:18 EDT 2011

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> Is this some type of vertical appliance or a backplane extension to a
> "PC".  How does the backplane attach to the mainboard [simple PCI ribbon
> cable to the planar?  Or does the host motherboard have provisions for
> the attachment of the backplane?].

A "passive backplane" had slots and a connection for the power supply; the
CPU is a card that plugs into the backplane and has one onboard VGA
(Intel, in this case).

> You have [probably] at least three PCI busses in this case. All all the
> PCI slots 'narrow' or do some/all of them have extensions [there are a
> duzzying number of PCI versions at this point].

So far, they have suppored the I/O card and at least one of the VGA
adapters, there is no indication that they 'change' between the CPU card
and the I/O cards.

> Again, what options related to the PCI bus appear in the host BIOS?

None, the PCI bus is not controlled by the CPU - it is "passive".

	TFTR!

	Lee