[GRLUG] PCI VGA Help

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Apr 20 09:14:08 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 07:54 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 11:44 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> > > Need someone with knowledge of hw - we have a passive backplane system
> > > with ISA & PCI where we need a 2nd monitor (Ubuntu 10.04)
> > Can you be more precise about "have a passive backplane system"?
> In what way? 10 ISA + 6 PCI? Two slots are ISA/PCI for the CPU and a
> spare.

Is this some type of vertical appliance or a backplane extension to a
"PC".  How does the backplane attach to the mainboard [simple PCI ribbon
cable to the planar?  Or does the host motherboard have provisions for
the attachment of the backplane?].

You have [probably] at least three PCI busses in this case. All all the
PCI slots 'narrow' or do some/all of them have extensions [there are a
duzzying number of PCI versions at this point].

Again, what options related to the PCI bus appear in the host BIOS?  Is
the current video card built-in or on the bus?  If on the bus is it on
the backplane or in a slot on the host's motherboard?