[GRLUG] ms sql -> mysql

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Apr 11 18:20:56 EDT 2011

At 05:06 PM 4/11/2011, you wrote:
>A client wants me to convert their asp/mssql webapp to php/mysql.  I
>asked for an export of the data and it is most definitely NOT mysql
>compatable. It looks a lot more like BASIC than SQL.  Lots of BEGIN,
>END, and GO.

Then what you have isn't an export. Ask for a "csv export with column
headers". What you're probably looking at is ASP code.

>Anyone have any idea the best way to get it into mysql?  I see the
>insert lines, and I could probably figure out the db structure and
>use those in a pinch.

Simplest would be to load the csv into an Access database [or ask
them for a .mdb of the data] and use the MySQL migration tool -
point-and-click. The hardest part will be setting up a valid MySQL
login & host pemissions - the MySQL Adminstrator tool is the GUI for that.

You could also setup SQLServer Express on you local machine (it's
free) and use that as the data source for

It might also be possible to use phpMyAdmin, but I have not played with it.

         Lee