[GRLUG] Anyone else having problems with gmail?

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Sep 15 11:31:35 EDT 2010

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Michael Mol wrote:

> > Nope, .. nothing in the middle. It's not an *access* issue, .. but
> > something seems to have occurred in recent FF updates that Google does not
> > like.
>
> That doesn't make sense. Like I said, I'm using 3.6.9, fully-patched,
> and I'm not seeing what you're talking about. You did mention you're
> using 3.6.8, though; can you update?

Actually, it makes perfect sense. Focusing on Firefox distracts from the
main problem.

> Also, try disabling some of your plugins and extensions, particularly
> old and redundant versions of things.

No help, .. even *uninstalling* did/would not solve the problem! As it
turns out I found three *different* google URLs were in the Firefox 'block
cookies' list - clearing everything and accepting them again fixed the
problem.

The symptoms make sense and seem to fit a hypothesis - apparently Google
is starting to *check* for a cookie and getting blocked without *setting*
a cookie; the set operation would be flagged by the cookie manager, but
checking for a cookie [and getting blocked] is not shown by any of the
cookie manager add-ins.

	Lee