[GRLUG] Best hardware for Linux

Topher topher at codeventure.net
Sat Oct 9 20:02:02 EDT 2010

> Linux Journal points out that some hardware works better with Linux than
> others, and that laptops in particular have the most problems.  The
> solution, if there is one, is a little to a lot of tweaking, which often
> turns off newbies big time if it is their first foray in to Linux, and
> they hit a particularly temperamental platform.
>
> That said, what would people here suggest as the best Desktops and
> Laptops for Linux.  There are so many combinations and types of
> peripherals that this is a somewhat vague question.  But in terms of out
> of the box works well with Linux, what brands and models would people
> here suggest?
>
> Sadly, some of this come from the driver situation, where M$ is in the
> cat bird seat.

I've been using Dell laptops for about 8 years now, and they've all made
me happy.  The one I have right now (e6400) is 100% compatable with a
gnome desktop as far as I can tell.  I can't get the audio buttons or
the microphone to work outside of gnome, but I don't care enough to work
very hard at it.  The mic would be nice, but I don't want it badly enough
to run Gnome.  :)

Only my first one 8 years ago bailed in wireless, and I bought a different
card for it for $30.  All the others have rocked on everything that
matters to me; video, 3d, audio, networking.

topher