[GRLUG] LCD replacement screen source

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat Nov 27 19:09:23 EST 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 18:49 -0500, Luan Pham wrote:
> On Saturday, November 27, 2010 06:05:07 pm David Wise wrote:
> > Hey everyone, who knows of a decent source for replacement LCD screens?  My
> > family has a busted 16" Acer Aspire 6930-6455 that I am searching for parts
> > for.  The first time I searched ebay I thought I was seeing them for
> > $80-100.  Now they all are around $300.  I supposedly found one for
> > $88+shipping on lcdscreensusa.com but I can't find a single review about
> > that site, so I don't know what to think.  Any help with favorite sources?
> David,
> I think it is cheaper to buy a new 19" then replacement part.
> Staples got an Acer 20" LCD monitor on Sunday for $109.98 and with Wide-screen
> resolution too.
> http://weeklyad.staples.com/staples/default.aspx?action=entryflash&mode=flash&adref=SBD_Marketing

I believe the 6930-6455 is a *laptop*, not a display unit.

But I'd still have the same answer - just junk it.  A "Core 2 Duo
Mobile" laptop isn't worth the time / cost of a repair scenario. A
refurbished unit of that spec is ~$500.  You could easily hit the 80%
rule trying the replace the display.  Replacement displays are dodgy.
Only way I would try is to contact a local PC repair shop [which would
have reliable sources] and see if they would work with you.

If you get a refurbished unit of the exact same model then you'll have
spare parts [maybe, assuming there aren't changes within the same model
between production runs... which happens].