[GRLUG] Sound issues

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun May 16 01:21:22 EDT 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've started having sound issues.
> I usual run Amarok.  I will be listening
> to a set of tracks, and the sound stops.
> It's probably not Amarok per se, because
> the same thing happens with other sound
> players.
> Rebooting brings things back.  So far I
> haven't be able to identify what's quitting,
> despite running "ps -eaf > file," and looking
> before and after things change.
> I'm running Kubuntu 10.04.  Updates are
> in place.
> Any suggestions, based on just this much?
>    -- Bob

I'm having sound issues as well, though not a "the sound stops" type
of issue. For me, I'll start hearing some nasty distortion. I
discovered that going to System->Preferences->Sound, finding my sound
card, and switching away from (and back to) my ideal hardware profile
(for me, "analog stereo out"), fixes it. I think the PulseAudio daemon
is a bit screwed up in 10.04, currently.

And, yeah, I'm also fully patched.