[GRLUG] Ubuntu Lucid & nvidia

Kyle dontwantspam1 at earthlink.net
Fri May 14 22:31:29 EDT 2010

On 5/14/2010 8:53 AM, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> I've had amazing luck with lucid.  Running Dell E6500 with NVDIA
> Quatro NVS 160M.
> A notification came up asking if I wanted to update Ubuntu to the
> latest.  I haven't had much luck and usually just reinstall the OS,
> but I decided to give it a shot.  I clicked "yes" and waited for the
> worse.
>
> It downloaded, installed and asked to reboot, while I was working on
> it.  Everything worked the first time.  Wireless, NVIDIA, dual Monitor
> setup. All the settings were saved from the old OS.
>
> I was really impressed.
>
> Sounds like I might be the only one :(

I had Wubi 9.10 (Windows installer for Ubuntu) loaded up on one of my
machines, which worked beautifully.  I tried the built-in Upgrade
system, and it pretty much trashed the virtual partition, necessitating
a full reinstall of Wubi to get to 10.04.  Never did get my data back
from that crash (not much of consequence - anything important I stored
elsewhere or backed up).  It's certainly not a perfect system.  My
experience actually had me a little concerned that they were
recommending it to novice Linux users, so I'm glad to hear it does in
fact work for some people.

- Kyle