[GRLUG] Ubuntu Lucid & nvidia

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri May 14 09:35:40 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 09:10:14AM -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 09:07 -0400, John-Thomas Richards wrote:
> > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 08:53:24AM -0400, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> > > I've had amazing luck with lucid.  Running Dell E6500 with NVDIA Quatro NVS
> > > 160M.
> > > A notification came up asking if I wanted to update Ubuntu to the latest.  I
> > > haven't had much luck and usually just reinstall the OS, but I decided to
> > > give it a shot.  I clicked "yes" and waited for the worse.
> > > It downloaded, installed and asked to reboot, while I was working on it.
> > >  Everything worked the first time.  Wireless, NVIDIA, dual Monitor setup.
> > > All the settings were saved from the old OS.
> > I'm mildly impressed, but not so impressed that I'll stick with Ubuntu.
> > I'll probably give Debian another go this week.  All that to say I
> > haven't had any problems with nVidia, dual monitor, wireless, etc. with
> > it.  Everything seems to just work (except sound, but that's the
> > motherboard failing from all the overheating; it happened with Vista for
> > my wife as well).
>
> Yep,  I'm using openSUSE 11.2 on an HP laptop with Nvidia: everything
> just worked upon install [which was several months ago].

Do you have problems with overheating?  This model is a Pavilion
dv6736nr.  If it weren't for the amazing Belkin laptop cooler I have I
would have destroyed this thing long ago.  I actually fear compiling
anything.  Flash video makes it overheat.  As I mentioned, rsyncing to a
USB drive makes it overheat.
--
john-thomas
------