[GRLUG] Android PDA

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue May 4 11:31:47 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 10:57:24AM -0400, Ron Lauzon wrote:
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:20 AM, mailtonick <mailtonick at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I use a Nokia n800, it runs a Linux based tablet OS. It has
> > productivity apps, many Foss. Plus it has Skype, fm radio,
> > bluetooth, games, webcam, 32gb expansion. I mainly use it for
> > browsing and international calls, and games while travelling.
>
> I had that, plus an N810 (with the hardware keyboard).  As with the
> N900, they don't run Android, but rather Nokia's Maemo OS.  While it's
> based on Linux, it does not have the number of applications that
> Android has.

Maemo is based on Debian (Debian proper can be installed on the N900).
There are a number of repositories available for it.  Since Nokia gives
you root you have control over it.  There may not be 10,000 apps in the
repositories (as Android claims) but I suspect it has what most people
want and/or need.  One could could run mutt/vim on the thing.  :-)
(What else would you need?)

> And, for me at least, neither worked well as a PDA.

Well it *is* a phone... :-)
--
john-thomas
------