[GRLUG] Android PDA

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue May 4 11:24:15 EDT 2010

(This isn't pointed directly at Ron; it's just a growing trend I've
only noticed in the last few days.)

Wow...I'm getting a little worried; the Android fan base is beginning
to sound like Apple's. Yes, I'll very specifically acknowledge that
Android isn't walled off the way the iPhone is, it's open source, and
you've got a lot of control over it.  I'll note, though, that the
Google devs didn't do a very good job adapting the Linux kernel to
their hardware in a way that allows the changes to be integrated back
to mainline, *and* I've only been hearing about apps that "run on
Android", not apps that "also run on Android." It's almost as though
the Android fan base is effectively duplicating some of the software
ecology they hate about the iPhone.

Here we are talking about and enjoying open source and
interoperability, and I'm repeatedly amazed that nobody notices the
lack (or lauds the presence) of app portability between Android, other
Linux phones and Linux+netbook+phone radio.