[GRLUG] W2K Server P2V on VBox

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 13:00:24 EDT 2010

I have also used vmware server 2.0 -> It's easy to setup, network
support is good, etc...

BE AWARE!  the conversion tool can 'trash' the tcp/ip / winsock stack...
at a previous employer we did a P2V on several Windows 2003 Servers
and found the network interface constantly 'cutting in and out' (not
being disconnected, just an interruption in transfer every second or
so)
After a week or so of research it turned out that the same exact
configuration had no problems when built from scratch - it was the p2v
conversion process that was causing the issue.
Running winsock fixes, editing registry settings... changing the
vmware network driver, adding a new network interface - NOTHING fixed
the issue...
We had to manually rebuild the server, but this was overall a lot
better - we had a 'base' server to use in the event of a corruption of
the VM to rebuild from in a true 'disaster'.

Maybe they've fixed this in more recent versions of the P2V tool...
not sure, but I always did really like the VMWARE product - especially
on a linux kernel with PAE.