[GRLUG] new mouse

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Mar 29 12:39:17 EDT 2010

At 11:12 AM 3/29/2010, you wrote:

>I had thrown the Kensington out of the pool becasue I didn't see a
>wheel, but on second look, the ring around the trackball acts as a
>scroll wheel?

The scroll wheel on the Pro model is very usable, ..

>For the experienced "Ballers" on the list, do you find the finger ball
>better than the thumb ball?

The size of the ball is also a factor - the large ball on Kensington
units is very precise, yet spin it quickly and you still get a
reasonable relocation speed.

>The Orbit (http://us.kensington.com/html/17531.html) appears to be a
>reasonable compromise, and it has the scroll ring.
>Google says it can be had for around $30. I don't know if I can quite
>justify $100 on a mouse at the moment.

Have not used the Orbit, .. but you should also consider economics -
I put my trackballs on top of 2" foam blocks so it is aligned with my
arm [using arm wrests]. I can sit here for many hours longer than my
seat is comfortable <g>!

         Lee