[GRLUG] Proposal for regular meetup.

Steve Romanow slestak989 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 16:07:19 EDT 2010

On 3/18/2010 4:02 PM, mikemol at gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Steve Romanow <slestak989 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 3/18/2010 2:48 PM, mikemol at gmail.com wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what you mean; it seems decently healthy to me.
>>>

>> I like both groups, so I am not attempting to create drama.  I just
>> noted the lack of meetings and had not talked to Casey in ages.  I have
>> talked with him this afternoon, and want to continue to meet.
>> The only thing I was throwing out there is if we werent meeting for
>> burnout/overcommitment/loss of interest maybe pulling together to share
>> the load.
>>
>> I am full time in grpug, and will likely hop between wmlug and grlug as
>> schedule permits.
>
> AFAIK, there are two reasons we don't tend to meet up.  The first is
> that nobody tends to be able to host regularly. Casey was the last
> person to be able to do it with any regularity, first at nVint, then
> in his garage/warehouse.  The second is that we tend to have
> structured meetings, where we do presentations. That's pretty much the
> only type of GRLUG meeting I remember ever attending, with the
> exception of the most recent one that happened a couple days after
> Thanksgiving. (That was some good, food, too; I particularly liked the
> white chili, the ramen salad and the stuffed things whose names I've
> forgotten.)
>
> It's possible that we could have regular meetings without an
> individual hosting. Rather, we could just meet up at a common
> location, as roleplay groups do with gaming centers, and some friend
> groups do at restaurants.  I'm not a real fan of the structured
> meeting, and if we could forgo the requirement of peace and projector,
> we could meet at a "fast food" place like Subway.  There's a very good
> Subway/Biggby's combination restaurant on Chicago Drive in Grandville,
> if folks are interested. We could shoot for a weekly or biweekly
> gathering on a Saturday afternoon.  I'd suggest setting a time like
> 2PM to 6PM, whoever's there is there, and whoever isn't, isn't. It's
> easier if you don't depend on everyone being there. (And I expect that
> after the first time or two, we'll have found the power outlets and
> take advantage of an extension cord and/or power strip. ;) )
>
> I'll make the commitment to be there at least this Saturday, through
> the entire block, just to ensure that anyone else who shows up will
> have *someone* to talk to.  After the first couple weeks, we'll have
> an idea when people tend to be there, and can adjust scheduling
> empirically.
>
> Sound good?

I _may_ be able to make that.  I dont do the meeting so much for
education as networking/social.  I asked Casey today about possible
quarterly social get togethers just to get us out of the basement and
away from the terminal a bit.  I get a lot of tech content from the web
and or manuals, so the presentations are nice, they are the main driver
for me attending.

I'm up for anything.  I am sure my schedule will not support any more
than biweekly, and then I will need to make some choices so I dont
neglect other duties.