[GRLUG] bad commands

mikemol at gmail.com mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 14:12:53 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 13:35 -0500, topher at t1kdevelopment.com wrote:
>> I deleted JT's post before my reply came to mind, so pretend this is a
>> reply to his.
>> Are there any commands you type incorrectly so often that you make an
>> alias for it?
>
> Nope;  almost 18 years as a sys-admin and I've never seen the point of
> shell aliases.

I use aliases, but not explicitly as part of system administration.

For example, I'll occasionally do something like this:

alias mplayer="mplayer -vo vdpau -ao pulse -fs -fixed-vo"

Sure, I could put most of that in a config file, but this way feels a little more normal.

One common use of aliases in system administration is usually done for me:
alias ls="ls --color=auto"

Color-coded ls statements.