[GRLUG] Thinking of app servers

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 15:11:06 EST 2010

X was designed, so applications could run on remote servers, and be
interacted with graphically on a local client.

The whole thing is a huge mess...
You should be able to attach and run programs on a remote X Server.
Have the X information piped to an X client and then have Gnome attached to
the local X client.
This doesn't however work in my limited experience.

This is the closest you can get:
http://mohanjith.net/blog/2008/01/using-gnome-remotely-via-ssh.html

And there is Vino in the works.