[GRLUG] At long last...

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 13:05:43 EST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:38 AM, David Wise <davidn.wise at gmail.com> wrote:
Michael,
I'm glad someone is able to get some use out of that machine. It was
going to just sit around and gather dust for me. I found all I was
really in need of at the moment was a NAS. That box was the epitome of
overkill.
Once my other priorities release their hold on me a touch, I am going
to be trying my hand at making a wireless NAS out of a Router with USB
port and DD-WRT that should suck down a fraction of the electricity.
Now all I need to find is a good quality (cheap) USB external drive
that will work. I've only got an old 40GB stolen from a laptop and
stuck into an enclosure at the moment.
--
Dave

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Steve Romanow <slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael,
> I'm glad someone is able to get some use out of that machine. It was going to just sit around and gather dust for me. I found all I was
> really in need of at the moment was a NAS. That box was the epitome of overkill.

While that's going to be its primary purpose for me, as well, yeah
that'll be overkill.  Somehow, though, I never cease to find use for
CPU. I wonder how that older dual Xeon will perform compared to my
Phenom 9650. It might be worth using as an app server for some apps I
use (like Gimp and qtpfsgui) that are computationally-intensive, but
aren't written to take advantage of multiple threads.