[GRLUG] At long last...

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 17:39:22 EST 2010

Are non fsynced writes hard on drives?
The reason I ask is I killed at least 3 drives Torrenting back in the day...
At the time the program didn't cache or perform synchronous writes.
1 block download = 1 block written... you could literally watch each
progression and  hear another 'click' of writing...
When I stopped torrenting my drive failures stopped...
I think it must be hard on the head.. moving back and forth.

Also as a side note, when a drive was nearing the end of its operating
lifetime or we could hear bearing or excessive head sound... we would load
up Eurosoft - it has a great test for head speed... it simply causes the HDD
head to move back and forthe... and tells you the average time taken per
head sweep... Running this for an hour or two on an already failing drive
and absolute failure is just about guaranteed...

Just for fun I have an 8gb Western Digital still in a 400mhz PII running in
the corner... I don't really do anything with it, other than test old opengl
code on the box occasionally.
Its  loud, and slow - but still going strong! (12 years old) ... yeah I was
13 when I got the drive... it was hot stuff.