[GRLUG] June WMLUG Meeting Announcement

Patrick TenHoopen ptenhoopen at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 22 15:58:06 UTC 2010

Greetings,

This week Thursday, 6/24, is the next WMLUG meeting.  We will be meeting in room 6 at New Horizons at 6 pm.

In addition to presentations on Linux Professional Institute Certification (LPIC) administration topics regarding language localization and system time, we have what should be an interesting and informative presentation on working with video:

Do you keep a crusty old Windows computer or overpriced Apple around just because it's too hard to edit videos on Linux? Well now you can throw that proprietary junk away - it's 2010 and Linux has several very nice, easy to use video editors. In fact the hard part these days is figuring out which one to use!

In a three part presentation series, Ben Rousch will show you how to install and use video and audio codecs, powerful command line conversion utilities, and a few of the many non-linear video editing programs available on Linux.  He'll show you how to take video from your phone or camera, cut out the parts you don't want, tack on title screens, subtitles, and credits, and upload it to your favorite video sharing web site.

In Part 1, we will introduce video and audio codecs as well as containers, and help you understand a little of the magic behind a video file. We will also use ffmpeg to convert video files to other interesting and useful formats and sizes.

In Part 2, we will give you a glimpse at many of the video editors you can try, and start you off using the current best-of-breed editor, OpenShot.

In Part 3, we will dive into more advanced usage of OpenShot including creating your own title screens, and using subtitles, transitions, and effects.

Please let us know if you plan on attending.  I don't think you want to miss this series.

Thanks,

Pat

West Michigan Linux Users Group
http://www.wmlug.org