[GRLUG] off-topic: cell phone coverage

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Jun 8 10:02:42 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 09:55:12AM -0400, topher at t1kdevelopment.com wrote:
> > I'm looking at getting a smartphone.  I really want the Nokia n900 which
> > limits me to T-Mobile or AT&T.  Any of you have any real-world
> > experience with T-Mobile's coverage in the Grand Rapids area?
>
> Within the greater grand rapidsland area, I never had much problem with
> tmobile.  Once you get about 20 miles from town it dies pretty hard.
>
> topher

No real dead spots within the city?  I don't travel outside Grand Rapids
much.

It's staggering to see how much less T-Mobile costs when you purchase
the phone up front, even when factoring in the cost of the phone.  For
example, if you don't subsidize the phone you save $20 per month.  Over
two years (the typical contract length) you save $480.  That makes a
$500 n900 cost about $20.  :-)
--
john-thomas
------