[GRLUG] iPad

Topher topher at wcsg.org
Fri Jan 29 07:53:25 EST 2010

>> What won't it do?
>
> Real work of any kind.  I see some interesting uses for tablets [real
> tablets] but I really can't imagine them. even good ones, competing
> against real laptops or high-end netbooks [whatever that means],
>
> My biggest gripe [aside from the backbreaker of no multitasking] would
> be on-screen-keyboard.  Once you bring up the on-screen-keyboard you've
> lost a huge amount of real-estate on the smallish screen.  And sitting
> and using the thing in any normal position would be really awkward.

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/db/2010/db100126.gif

Unrelated to the cartoon, I see tablets as a great shopping and recipe
device.  I can see my wife using a tablet kind of the way she would have
used a Sears catalog in the past.  And she takes my laptop to the kitchen
all the time with recipies on the screen.  If she chould embiggen the font
on a tablet and hang it on the wall, it would rock.

And the iPad would probably even work for those needs.  Fortunately for
both of us, she's an Apple hater on matters of principle.  :)

Topher