[GRLUG] Jenison Electrician

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 12:32:41 EST 2010

On 1/27/2010 12:06 PM, Bob Kline wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com
> <mailto:mikemol at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 1/27/2010 11:34 AM, Bob Kline wrote:
>      >
>      > On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:59 AM, <mikemol at gmail.com
>     <mailto:mikemol at gmail.com>
>      > <mailto:mikemol at gmail.com <mailto:mikemol at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >     On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Bob Kline
>     <bob.kline at gmail.com <mailto:bob.kline at gmail.com>
>      > <mailto:bob.kline at gmail.com <mailto:bob.kline at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >         On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:36 AM, <mikemol at gmail.com
>     <mailto:mikemol at gmail.com>
>      > <mailto:mikemol at gmail.com <mailto:mikemol at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      >             On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Casey DuBois
>      > <casey at grlug.org <mailto:casey at grlug.org> <mailto:casey at grlug.org
>     <mailto:casey at grlug.org>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      >                 For something like that you need a real electrician,
>      >                 however I'm not
>      >                 sure how many if any have the thermal imager like
>     we've
>      >                 seen on TV.
>      >
>      >
>      >             Most of my day job involves writing software that
>     talks to
>      >             them, but the
>      >             hardware we talked to is danged expensive. That said,
>     we've
>      >             written software
>      >             specifically for folks who do property analysis using
>      >             thermal cameras.
>      >             (Windows-only, sorry; Driver support issue.) If anyone's
>      >             interested in
>      >             starting such a business in the area...
>      >
>      >             -
>      >
>      >
>      >         For people who want to sell you
>      >         information about how to better
>      >         insulate your abode?  Maybe
>      >         starting with triple pane windows?
>      >         Is that a hot (...) business in cash
>      >         strapped MI?
>      >             -- Bob
>      >
>      >
>      >     To a point, yeah, it's about replacing poor windows and adding
>      >     insulation. The nice thing a thermal camera can do for you is
>     help
>      >     you figure out which windows, doors, walls and areas of the
>     roof you
>      >     ought to shore up, and which you shouldn't bother with.
>      >
> [...]

That's not how driver development on Windows works.  Microsoft isn't
responsible for the development of others' drivers.  They'll write
generic drivers to available standards, but they won't write a driver
for some other company's hardware. (Well, I suppose if that other
company offered to pay enough, they might.)

Driver development on Windows involves purchasing and downloading the
DDK, and doing your own coding.  When you're ready, you pay Microsoft
for WHQL certification; That's a quality control process where they
hammer your driver through a testing process.  You don't *have* to get
WHQL certification; Your driver will still load on most systems without
the certification, but the user will see a warning saying that
"such-and-such driver hasn't been WHQL-certified, and may cause your
system to be unstable."  Most users will click through that. Some won't.

It's not Microsoft's choice whether companies develop products that work
with non-Microsoft operating systems. There's only one major reason for
it that I've seen...Visual Studio is a darned-good C/C++ IDE, better
than anything else I've worked with extensively.

The closest thing to a contractual limitation I've seen is that one of
the optional add-on packs for MFC has licensing clauses in it that are
supposed to make you think twice about running your app under winelib.
However, if you're using MFC as part of your drivers, you've got other
problems, and they have more to do with competency...

You're right; Most hardware manufacturers don't want to bother with the
expense of supporting multiple platforms, but they withhold the details
needed to implement support from *everybody*, and do their own
implementation. If Microsoft was no longer the majority target, and,
say, Ubuntu was, then they'd do that single implementation for Ubuntu,
and let Microsoft users twist in the wind.

The crux of the issue, though, is that a lot of the magic that makes or
breaks a quality "hardware" device actually happens in software; it's
just cheaper to patch and fix software than hardware. Users who buy a
fast video card or quality-output printer are really paying for a device
that the fancy, well-written drivers will talk to.  Things like color
conversion and quality halftoning in printing, or shader path and data
transfer optimizations in video cards, are largely handled in the
drivers for consumer-grade hardware. Want a printer that does it in
hardware? That's what Postscript is for. Video cards are still a bit tricky.

It's the behind-the-scenes in-software magic that the hardware
manufacturers don't really want to open up; If they lose that, they lose
the edge they have over their competitors.