[GRLUG] Pre-installed Linux on laptops

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 16:40:56 EST 2010

On 01/26/2010 03:09 PM, Bob Kline wrote:
> What I find strange is that most of
> them come with 160GB drives now.
> I'd thought the trend would be to
> a few GB of RAM, and maybe 16GB
> of flash.  All for fast bootup, and
> ruggedness.  For portable use one
> doesn't need a hard drive IMHO.  And
> I'm sure they eat up a lot of the cost
> of the devices now.

Actually, the cost of a 160GB hard drive is very cheap compared to 32GB
of flash.

My System 76 Starling netbook was only $350.  That included the extended
life battery.

Compare that to my Archos 5 Internet Tablet, with 32 GB of flash.  It
cost only slightly less than the netbook - but no keyboard and a 5"
screen as opposed to the 10" screen on my netbook.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
    Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

    DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

    "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
    audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
    sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2009 x86_64