[GRLUG] Pre-installed Linux on laptops

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 15:06:10 EST 2010

On 1/26/2010 3:00 PM, Bob Kline wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 2:35 PM, john-thomas richards <jtr at jrichards.org
> <mailto:jtr at jrichards.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 02:20:50PM -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
>     [snip]
>      > The technical details are pretty skimpy.
>      > e.g., how much RAM.  IMHO it's better to
>      > get a cheap laptop and just run Puppy
>      > or something.  The netbooks look pretty
>      > expensive yet for what you get.  A CPU
>      > with no poop, and pretty lousy battery life.
>
>     It's amazing how these "netbooks" resemble regular laptops from a couple
>     years ago but with a small screen.  I think the concept was a small,
>     lightweight net device that wouldn't hurt a great deal if lost / dropped
>     / stolen.  Now "netbook" essentially means "laptop with small screen and
>     little cost-savings."
>     --
>     john-thomas
>
> I think the last line about covers it.
> At present, they make little economic
> sense IMHO.

It really depends on your needs.  If all I was going to do was basic web
browsing with flashblock, mixed in with a little SSH, it'd be fine.
However, my laptop is also a relay point for my photography, so I need a
little more oomph.

Intel's NOBi is a neat little device I'd thoroughly enjoy if I didn't
need to handle photo processing at a con once in a while. Otherwise,
it'd handle my needs.