[GRLUG] Pre-installed Linux on laptops

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 14:49:06 EST 2010

On 1/26/2010 2:32 PM, Bob Kline wrote:
> Just curious, why a net book at all?

Not interested in a net book, really. I'd like a Linux-powered *tablet*
device, because I like fast digitization of hand-drawn illustrations.
I'd use my smartphone, except the drawable region is way, way too small.

> At this time anyway.  They all seem
> to use the anemic Atom processor,
> have limited battery life, tiny screens,
> and keyboards for midgets.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of netbooks with about 8 hours of battery
life.  It's certainly possible; Remember the original Sony Vaio?

Still, I'm not looking for a netbook. I'd like something with an 8.5" x
11" screen. :)

> On top of all of that,  they cost like any
> machine with relatively custom packaging.
> i.e., a  lot.

Strangely, netbooks can be had for under $300. My current laptop (which
was a netbook by the standards of the time...about two years ago) cost $500.