[GRLUG] Mounting DVDs

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 11:16:32 EST 2010

On 1/21/2010 10:43 AM, Bob Kline wrote:
> mount /dev/dvd
>
> That would be fine if it worked...
>
> On occasion I'll see "no medium found
> on /dev/sr0," the dvd unit.  Other times
> I might see "can't read superblock," or
> something thereabouts.  I gather that
> indicates that the file system type is not
> correctly determined.  But if I specify it,
> that should not be an issue.
>
> Suggestions?  Marginal DVD unit?

mount -t auto /dev/srN /mountpoint

ddrescue will help you recover data from scratched discs.  Optical media
decays, though, so it's possible it may be totally unrecoverable. (Some
brands and dye types decay faster than others. I used to know a lot
about which were more reliable, but that's all pretty much slipped away.
For backup purposes, don't trust just one backup medium, and keep burned
discs in dark places.)

Another means of backing up optical media is to use cdrdao, and rip in
disc-at-once mode. I had to resort to that to back up an old Playstation
disc. You should then be able to use cdrdao to burn it on to new media.
I haven't dug into how to directly access the resulting .bin file, yet.