[GRLUG] OpenOffice.org as Access replacement

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Jan 15 15:12:38 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 14:27 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
> Back when I was taking a database class at Ferris, I tried using OO.org
> Base to create a prototype for what I needed to put in DB2. Not a
> functional prototype, just a GUI visualization of the tables and
> relationships.
> Without even getting to the "run a query" state of things, I had Base
> crash a rather large number of times. That left a bad taste in my mouth.
>   However, all that was three-four years ago, and they may have fixed
> things up since then.

Supposedly OOBase has been overhauled.  But I haven't really tried it in
recent versions.

> Just about every general programming language has database bindings
> these days.

True.  That part is easy.  Creating a UI that doesn't make the user want
to attack the developer with a chain-saw is hard.

> If all you want is something that could be serviced by
> Access, pick a language you're familiar with and use its DB bindings to
> put your data into an SQLite back-end. (SQLite can be more or less
> summarized as a single-program database that runs within your process
> and saves your data to a file on disk.)  SQLite itself is
> cross-platform; It's used in Firefox, a variety of programs on my Linux
> desktop at home, and we use it as a processing engine in a diagnostics
> analyzer Windows app we built at work.

+1 for SQLite.  It is drop-dead easy [for real, not 'drop dead easy'
like MySQL - where easy-to-use is LAMP-lamer speak meaning
i-have-no-idea-what-I'm-talking-about-because-I've-never-used-anything-else].  SQLite is great for local applications, it avoids need for any services.