[GRLUG] Compiling 32 bit app on 64 host

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 19:58:12 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 7:49 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Trying to setup a build environment for a production app, .. I got the 32
> bit gss & libraries installed, but make now returns:
>
>  *** multiple target patterns.  Stop.
>
> Is it worth trying to it working, or should I just build a 32-bit VM?
>
>        TIA,
>
>        Lee

In my opinion, it depends on how much memory you're going to give the
VM.  If you're going to give it more than 3-4GB, then I'd say take the
time to learn about cross-compiling.  If you're not, then go with a
32-bit VM.

(One reason to throw >4GB at a build environment is the opportunity to
build on tmpfs.)