[GRLUG] "network is unreachable"

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 19:47:09 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/11/2010 6:25 PM, john-thomas richards wrote:
> > Ah, the pragmatism that comes with age.  I've been using Linux for about
> > thirteen years now and only once have I reinstalled from scratch in
> > order to solve a problem, and that was about a year ago when Debian
> > Testing got really, really messed up (modules wouldn't load, etc.).  I
> > realized life was too short for me to go through the long, arduous
> > process of fixing it so I reinstalled.
> >
> > There's wisdom in that.
>
> One of the valuable things that arises from the time spent is learning
> why it broke in the first place. Not "why" as "this file was removed",
> but "why" as in "oh, this subsystem needs to talk to that subsystem, and
> that thing needs to be configured so that that part over there works."
>
> If that's outside one's area of interest, then yeah, reinstall.
> Otherwise, by all means, be stubborn and learn!

All true.  Or cave, and learn about
something else.  I suspect that for
most of us here it's a matter of what
one learns about, not whether they
will learn about something.

It's usually not particularly instructive
to spend too much time on something
unless you have the background to at
least have a shot at a solution.  There's
also the monkey at a typewriter, cranking
out Shakespeare.  Possible, just not very
likely.

   -- Bob