[GRLUG] "network is unreachable"

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Feb 10 22:30:41 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:21:41PM -0500, mikemol at gmail.com wrote:

> >>Im not sure abt dhcpd fixing this, but iirc synaptic has a "download
> >>list" feature that you can feed into wget on another machine (or
> >>boot to a livecd withthis one).
> >>
> >>Are you using Networkmanager?  Shouldnt have a lot of ifups and down
> >>necessary.
> >>
> >No.  I installed wicd, and that's when it all started....
>
> Two solutions: Read the man pages and docs for wicd and manually
> configure it to handle your network connectivity, or uninstall it and
> reinstall NetworkManager.

Since you don't have net access on that machine, check
/var/cache/apt/archives for the NetworkManager .deb.  It should be there
unless you cleaned it out (a great reason to not clean out the cache
unless you really need the space).  Wicd obviates other network
connection managers (and vice versa).  Reinstalling NetworkManager
should remove Wicd.
--
john-thomas
------