[GRLUG] "real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ; ) "

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 12:51:29 EST 2010

I think it's a really cool idea - lot's of open source projects distribute
their distributions this way -> and it seems to work quite well.

Thanks for being willing and open to share unique ideas, even if it is
(just) a thought experiment, I feel people are too afraid to throw out ideas
for fear of criticism so thanks for helping to break down that stigma.  I
really would like grpug, and grlug to be an environment that no matter the
topic or idea people can throw out their thoughts and experiences without
having to be worried about judgment or criticism.

I tried really hard to find the article (and couldn't) but Redhat released
an article about when they started using torrents back in like Fedora Core
6, and they significantly reduced their overhead.
Obviously enough people use Fedora Core 6 that it worked quite well.

If you have a "hosted seed" you don't ever have to worry about a "piece" of
the torrent being offline completely, and other than that the overhead to
the torrent protocol is quite low - so this seems like an excellent way to
distribute portions of a file on varying types over hardware without having
to be worried about the fitness of an individual server or host.

Of the technologies that can split/up a file into smaller pieces, and
automatically resume a failed download or a failed "piece" I can't think of
any that can be distributed besides file-sharing protocols.

Very interesting idea.

Someone should start a business around this, that is privatized or the
backbone is dark fiber -> like a CDN, just the content would be large files
that was distributed for quicker downloads.