[GRLUG] "real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ; ) "

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Sat Feb 6 17:19:30 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 05:08:59PM -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been thinking about a recurring issue...Namely that none of
> > RCo's remote backup targets are very good. My home system has a
> > problem remaining alive for any extended duration, and I don't have
> > any other good prospective places to I can trust to send the data.
> > (No offense to anyone who's offered, but it's hard for me to totally
> > trust someone I've never met in person.*)
> >
> > I may have hit on a novel solution, but I want to run it past a
> > bunch of people (namely, you), before I do something this crazy.
> >
> > Step 1: Take backup on server Step 2: Compress backup to tarball.
> > Step 3: Encrypt tarball using GPG and a long, long public key.  Step
> > 4: Build a torrent.  Step 5: Add torrent to RSS feed.  Step 6:
> > Anyone who wants to help can point their torrent client at the RSS
> > feed. Data's encrypted, so I don't have to worry. With enough seeder
> > boxes out there, there can be several full copies out there.
> >
> > Bonus: Server data migration happens much, much faster. :)
> >
> > Steps 2 and 3 can be munched a bit by nesting the encryption in the
> > tarball, using separate keys for each subdirectory, or even
> > splitting a .tar.lzma, separately encrypting each chunk with a
> > unique key, tarring that and using another key for encrypting that
> > final tarball.
> >
> > * Yes, this is me we're talking about, and I realize the irony.
> >

> > Thoughts?  -- :wq _______________________________________________
>
> What's in it for us?

I was wondering that, too.  Is this business data or personal data?
Regardless, what would motivate people to do this?  Altruism?
Philanthropy?  If this is Rosetta Code stuff, I can see why, but if it's
personal my guess is most people wouldn't care to help you.

> ( joke )

Two guys walked into a bar.  The third one ducked.

--
john-thomas
------