[GRLUG] connecting 2 wireless routers to cable modem

Godwin godwin at grandrapids-lug.org
Tue Feb 2 00:43:14 EST 2010

As others mentioned, I too would definitely recommend DDWRT.  It's the only
way to fly (no punt intended, okay maybe intended).  Great software, but
unfortunately the DIR-655 is not supported so I'll stop there.  I'd say, get
better (cheap) hardware like the Asus WL-520GU ($45 shipped) or the Buffalo
WHR-HP-G54 (like $50 bucks), or for those of us who want more beef than
gravy, the Linksys WRT-610N v2.

Just to note, the cable modem hands out only one IP, so no switches, hubs or
the like between it and other devices.   Also, plug stuff in like this:

CableModem -> WAN port of 1st router
LAN port of 1st router -> LAN port of 2nd router.

Turn off DHCP server on the 2nd router, change the channel to differ from
the 1st.  I'd set the SSID to be diff too, but play w/ both settings and
walk a laptop from one coverage area to the other and see if it auto
switches based on signal strength.  As an aside, either assign the 2nd
router an IP outside the DHCP range, or one on a diff non-conflicting
subnet.  Just what I like to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System (DIR-655 has no
support, but good to read)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_set_identifier