[GRLUG] connecting 2 wireless routers to cable modem

mikemol at gmail.com mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 23:46:22 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Casey DuBois <casey at grlug.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a cable modem and need to connect 2 wireless routers, one in
> the house and one in the warehouse.
> My goal is to use the 2 D-Link DIR-655's that I already have.
> When I connect the 2nd unit it takes the first one down (both trying
> to assign IP's???)

Most likely. Turn off the DHCP server in the one not directly connected to the cable modem. *Preferably* switch it to bridge mode, if the firmware supports it. (No doubt someone else will suggest you try DD-WRT, if it doesn't.)

Running the second router as a simple bridge is preferable to all other options, unless you want to try using them as actual *routers*, with distinct subnets for each AP. While a very educational exercise, I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know that you need it.

Long story short, set up the second one as a simple bridge.