[GRLUG] sysadmin job opening

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 11:04:26 EST 2010

One could throw in parallel programming.

But what emerges is that someone
has to decide how to balance cost,
performance, and who can do what.
Knowing the strengths and weaknesses
of most platforms and languages today
is probably beyond any one person, so
the decision is inherently difficult.  Individuals
often argue for what they know - both in the
hardware and software side of things.  Having
to come up to speed on something new
guarantees that amateurs will be doing the
job, and the results will reflect this.  If
engineering departments could get around
these points, then one would have demonstrated
the intelligence of a mob.  But any working
person knows that a camel is a horse designed
by a committee.

Perhaps the proliferation of "languages" has
simply complicated everything.  Each new one
is supposed to be the greatest thing since
sliced bread - one's thesis said that.  But it
rarely works out that way.

In the not so distant past it was clear that
if you wanted a program to execute 10X faster,
buy hardware that went 10X faster.  Concepts
like caching have been around a long time,
but only recently has the hardware been
cheap enough to routinely support them.

I'll agree that speed is both program and
context dependent, and that one usually
only has control over a few of the factors.

   -- Bob