[GRLUG] Wyse thin clients

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 11:51:27 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:43 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2010, Michael Glaske wrote:
>
>> I have used them before in numerous places.  Bar Code Scanners usually work
>> and emulate a keyboard, so they will definitely work if they are of that
>> type.  Some of them emulate a serial port, and that can be passed through
>> the thin client depending upon the type and protocol you are using (RDP,
>> ICA, etc).  Others are proprietary, but not very common, and those probably
>> will not work.
>>
>> 95% of them simply emulate a keyboard, so those types are 100% supported.
>>
> That's one possibility - thanks for the confirmation [all].
>
> One of the connections will be to a scale, and that is RS232. What are the
> chances that 'port forwarding' a USB port will work with a standard RS232
> connection?

Find the right USB RS232 dongle, and you should be fine. There are
pretty common USB serial profiles, but dongle quality and behavior
vary; you may want to sample a few different models. and find one that
works. (Simplistically speaking, if you can plug the dongle into a few
different operating systems without installing drivers, you should be
fine.)