[GRLUG] DoS Block on my local IP address

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Tue Dec 28 10:18:16 EST 2010

On 12/28/2010 9:55 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Eric Beversluis
> <ebever at researchintegration.org>  wrote:
>> On 12/28/2010 9:28 AM, Eric Beversluis wrote:
>> NADA. Did factory reset etc. Still no Internet connectivity, just LAN, from
>> the Lenovo Linux box.
> I wonder if it's a "detecting network freeloaders" feature or some
> such. It might be triggering on a spoofed MAC address, or it might be
> reticent about allowing newcomers to the network.
>
> What distro and role does the Linux box have? What kind of servers and
> network services is it running, if any? Did you have to do any weird
> configuration steps to get it to do what it does?

If TimeWarner or the Belkin router were blocking by MAC address, the
boot from the live Ubuntu wouldn't have worked either, would it?
@Mol: Running openSUSE 10.2. Nothing special that I know. I've been
doing all the updates as they come. A month or so ago there seemed to be
some changes: the xconsole started showing up when booting (and
remaining in the bottom panel tray till I close it) and the logon screen
changed.  But whatever happened then is long enough ago that I doubt if
it has anything to do with this problem.

When you say "I wonder if it's a "detecting...", what 'it' are you
referring to? The box? the router? the ISP?

I don't have anything special running, that I know of. I use the
terminal server client a lot to access my Windows boxes, and that's
still working fine.