[GRLUG] Wireless question

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 22:35:17 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 9:45 PM, John-Thomas Richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 08:15:40PM -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
>> I'd see two issues.  One is to keep your e-mail and other operations
>> private, and I'd think https was good enough.
>
> https?  What about IMAP or POP3/SMTP?

Something I've been mulling in my head for a while. Proxies such as
Squid can be used for most protocols. How difficult is it to
SSL-encrypt the Squid proxy, and require all connections go through
that? That'd seem to allow even an open 802.11 network, as long as the
client didn't barf on the cert required to talk to the proxy.