[GRLUG] Wireless question

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 09:54:28 EST 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Joseph McLaughlin <jwm8351 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a device - call it a dlink dsm-320 I want to connect it wirelessly to
> my network. It only uses wep 64 or 128 keys ( or nothing )
> Should I redo my network to use its encription?

No! WEP is terribly poor encryption.

> or
> Is there a magical device to connect the Media Player to my network.
> (I could run a trip net but wife would not be to happy)

It's called a 'bridge'; it connects a network with one kind of
physical layer to another. Modems are actually quite similar.

I really, really liked my ASUS WL-330ge bridges, though I don't use
them much any more. (I've loaned them to a friend who's going to do
some tinkering) They can serve as routers, repeaters, 802.11 network
clients or 802.11 access points. (The latter two roles are two
specializations of the 'bridge' concept that are particular to how
802.11 works.)