[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - FCC to vote on net neutrality later today.

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 19:46:26 EST 2010

Had?  Again, do they expire?

I never became a ham, but as a kid
did some listening.  My take is that the
attraction was the opportunity to learn
some electronics, and radio in particular.

I have to believe the hardest thing is
antennas, and something die hard hams
were always interested in.  It's a black art,
and IMHO the most difficult part of the
technology.  Today one has everything
from fractal antennas to wireless gadgets
of all kinds, including watches, to humongous
antennas - 1,500 feet and higher.

Anyway, the encryption thing seems to do
in the concept of using ham radio as a
way around Comcast and others.

But isn't it curious that with antennas from
Cyberguys, Amazon, etc., that one can get
ranges of literally miles using WiFi, long range
WiFi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi>that one can get up to miles
of interaction
under the right circumstances?  Say from a
hill on 92nd street to a tall building in GR?

Oh, and without a license.  I'm sure that
feature will be plugged up if long range
WiFi becomes popular and effective.

    -- Bob