[GRLUG] Weird DHCP problem

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 18:34:37 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 6:21 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Trying to install OpenSuSE on a Dell 2850, and during the boot process it
> shows a DHCP *offer* from an IP that is the first one in the DHCP range,
> instead of the server. In effect, it shows an offer from an IP that
> doesn't even HAVE a DHCP server running!
>
> Has anyone ever seen something like this?
>
>        Lee

IPv4 DHCP servers technically don't have IP addresses as I understand
it. However, the client software might be resolving the DHCP server's
IP address to prettify things for readability. Are you sure you don't
have a DHCP server (even unintentionally) running on the machine the
Dell claims it got an offer from?

Also, double-check the wording of dhclient's output. The DHCP server
will OFFER an IP address; make sure you're not misreading that offer
as the source.