[GRLUG] !Linux-periodic dns failure

Bill Littlejohn billl at mtd-inc.com
Tue Aug 31 14:27:18 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 12:57 -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
>> Just curious, why is something like
>> this better than, say, Google's DNS
>> service?  I've used that for a while now,
>> and it's quite reliable and fast.
>
> <quote>all external DNS queries timed out except for Charter's
> DNS</quote>
>
> So alternate DNS providers won't help.  Odds are they are stuff and DNS
> queries not directed at their DNS servers [which very possibly violates
> you EULA].

> believed to be clean.

That was one of my first thoughts.. that Charter was interfering with
DNS traffic not destined for their DNS. But it didn't make sense why
this would happen 2-3 times a week for 10-15 minutes at a time.
Judging by the symptoms, it's far more likely that Charter is having
congestion issues as Michael suggested.
However, I still want to verify that is the case.  Perhaps they _are_
interfering with DNS as a form of traffic management? I guess I'll
find out more when I can test throughput to an IP while DNS is failed.