[GRLUG] !Linux-periodic dns failure

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 14:22:08 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Bill Littlejohn <billl at mtd-inc.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just curious, why is something like
>> this better than, say, Google's DNS
>> service?  I've used that for a while now,
>> and it's quite reliable and fast.
>> i.e., I presume you pay for the "business"
>> service, but what do you actually get for it?
>> Hand holding, if that's effective, but maybe
>> you shouldn't need that if the service is any
>> good.
>>    -- Bob
>>

> As far as using a Charter Business account goes.. you're paying for the SLA.
>
> As to the DNS issue, we use DynDNS for custom DNS. i.e. They host our
> internet visible DNS server. We also use their "Internet Guide", which
> is a hosted Barracuda content filter. (porn filter).

Which reminds me. One odd issue I've had to debug with Rosetta Code
was that our ReCAPTCHAs would fail consistently for some people. It
turns out that our API key has a word in it that tends to show up in
filter lists, and a couple of people who go through filtering proxies
have had AJAX queries against api.recaptcha.net subsequently blocked.

Currently, any anonymous edit on rosettacode.org's wiki pop up a
CAPTCHA, as will account creation. Does your hosted Barracuda solution
prevent you from getting through those?