[GRLUG] New subscription request to list grlug

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 19:40:32 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Godwin <geektoyz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Eric Luckenbaugh
> <luckenbaugh.eric at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Godwin,
>>
>> Yes, I am real. :)  Can you tell me what the weekly meetings are like at
>> the Subway in Grandville?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eric
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Godwin <geektoyz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Eric,
>>> I got this request and wanted to make sure you're a real person.  :-)
>>> cheers,
>>> G-
>>>

> In that case... welcome Eric!  I'm gonna relay your query to the list for a
> better answer as our meetings are kinda irregular (aside from the Subway
> meetings).  :)
>
> cheers,
> G-

The Subway meetings vary.

* I'll often talk about the latest serverside stuff I've done (or am
trying to do) with Rosetta Code.
* Matt Seely usually has something interesting he's done with web
design or Ruby. (Usually in response to my frustrations over RC).
* Kyle has a variety of subjects he mentions or chimes in on,
including embedded electronics, trains, board games, etc.
* Sometimes I'll show something I've been messing with with
photography. A couple times, we've played board games.
* Once, I ran a quick example of a D&D game.

Of course...
* Sometimes, we sit there quietly.

I'm the "anchor", meaning I try to be there from 2PM to 6PM regardless
of whether or not anyone else has said they're going to show up. That
way, people won't choose to pass on the opportunity just because
"there might not be anybody there."

It's been a little slow these past few weeks, but I think that's
because the beach makes a more inviting target on a Saturday summer
afternoon than a coffee shop. I'm still there. (With the rare
exception. I think I've missed four this year.)

If you show up, I'll grill you on the kinds of things you do for fun
and profit, ask questions about them and chat about related things.
When other people come by, sometimes I can get two of you to chat with
each other about things I know are a common interest. :)