[GRLUG] Ubuntu, Grub :"No filesystem found: Grub Rescue>"

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 09:10:25 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 1:00 AM,  <bcreswel at morrison-ind.com> wrote:

> Well, the update.
>
> Went cheap, bought the $80 SSD.
>
> Started w/ openSUSE,  which seemed to work fine on gnome live, and first
> run, but after that I was no longer able to connect wirelessly.
>
> Not really being one to enjoy messing around with OS stuff - I want it to
> "just work", I went back to Ubuntu.
>
> Guess what? Two crashes in the last two days. Not the fatal Grub Rescue,
> just the "everything stopped" kind, where nothing responds except the power
> button.
>
> I'm now wondering if I should point fingers at the atheros wireless?
>
> Is there some relatively simple crash diagnostics I can do?

What I would do:

* Check /var/log/syslog to see if anything shows up there just before
the crash point.
* Update video drivers. (I'm seeing a lot of X11 hangs on the
open-source Radeon drivers right now.)
* Install sshd and see if it still has network access after the hang,
and, if so, try restarting X11.