[GRLUG] That perl markov processor (for Jim, re Saturday Social topic)

mikemol at gmail.com mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 21:20:28 EDT 2010

Here's what that Perl script eventually became:
http://pastebin.com/drnmFUtH

I finally tracked down that apparent data non-transparency problem in Tie::RDBM to be caused by a symbol longer than the column width being used as a key value. Between that, and a few other changes, I was able to do away with the md5 hash by truncating the symbol if it got too long.

I didn't *entirely* do away with hashing, though; I applied my own. It now discards anything not alphabetical, and then recursively applies a phonetic shift on the strings to try to break things down to homophones.  Seems to be working pretty well. :)

For those who weren't part of the discussion...This is a 1st-order Hidden Markov Model. I want to play around with interactive text munging, kinda like the filters that come with the bsdgames, but a little bit smarter.