[GRLUG] Backup Options

Steve Romanow slestak989 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 15:29:06 EDT 2010

On 4/1/2010 3:22 PM, Dan Pilcheck wrote:
> Good Afternoon GRLUG!
>
> I get to revamp our backup system at work and I'm looking for some
> thoughts on practices and procedures.
> We have about a dozen servers, 1 Win2k3 App server, with the rest some
> flavor of *nix.
> I (and everyone else i'm sure) want automation and easy-to-restore
> backups for each server.
>
> I'd like to backup a wide variety of data, ranging from Asterisk,
> samba, vpn, sql, emails and domain configs
> Weekend fulls and weekday incrementals with a monthly copy archived is
> what I'd like have on hand.
> I'd love to have an image of each machine, but I think even doing that
> monthly would consume a ton of space.
> I'll probably just keep an image of the Win2k3 server, its only about
> 100gb. I have roughly 1TB to
>
> I stumbled across Bacula (Bacula.org) and had a friend recommend
> AMANDA (http://www.amanda.org/ http://www.zmanda.com/) to me as a
> Backupserver solution.
>
> Does anyone have experience with either system? Or is a tar script
> still the preferred solution?
> Is a central backup preferred over a externally mounted disk?
>
> Thanks for the input,
> -Dan

I am not a pro with this aspect of our business, but I have spent some
thought on this.  We are moving towards vmware, which I will be a part
of p2v and other migrations.  I considered that I would get nightly
snapshots, rsynced to remote server (maybe not nightly) and get
application and configuration backups >1 day.  Maybe every 4 hours.  An
application backup and can liekly be used with any of the snapshots in
case of emergency.  look at backuppc as well.