[GRLUG] shutdown -F WMNTUG Windows 7 Meeting

peyeps at iserv.net peyeps at iserv.net
Sat Sep 26 19:21:48 EDT 2009

All right, that's 0 for 2.

The Ubuntu 6.06 I use still supports the -F option.  The 9.04 I have on
this netbook gives no error message when you use the -F option.  However
it does not force the disk check on reboot.

However if you use shutdown now, with no parameters, I get a menue with
the following options.  resume, which brings you back to the login window.

There is also clean, dpkg, fsck, grub and netboot.  I am assuming, and we
know what happens when you assume, that the fsck is the same file check
after 30 boots, and will reset the counter.

Right now with this relatively new machine, there's not a lot on it, and
the file system check doesn't take very long.

The boot on this netbook takes a lot less time than an XP boot, or my
6.06.  It might not be a valid comparison, because the 6.06 is on a
Toshiba laptop bought in 2006, and this machine is a new Acer Aspire.   It
does take a little longer after login than the old 6.06.