[GRLUG] ext4/xfs/winfs [Was: WMNTUG Windows 7 Meeting]

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Sep 18 11:36:51 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 11:02 -0400, Steve Romanow wrote:
> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > I don't see the correlation;  the feature set proposed for WinFS doesn't
> > really have anything to do with the scalability issues addressed by
> > XFS/ext4/GFS.
> Not comparing features, just looking at the amount of experimentation
> and products that come to market for *nix compared to msft plodding
> along with ntfs.

There are numerous versions of NTFS; Microsoft just continues to call
all of them NTFS.  Unlike the nerds at Sun [with GFS] Microsoft doesn't
view filesystem technology as marketable - you just have to have one.
NTFS [currently] is a very good filesystem.  I think success in the
marketplace [is Sun a "success" in any arena anymore?] makes it clear
who is correct on that score. :)

Actually I'd view NTFS as a success, much like ext2 -> ext3 -> ext4, as
they've been able to bring everyone forward with an improved filesystem
without making the migration a big deal.  Most of the time it is
completely unnoticed.