[GRLUG] Tom's hardware on Linux Software

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 11:57:52 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Adam Tauno Williams <
awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 13:48 -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
> > http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/linux-internet-application,2407.html
> > Some interesting reading.
>
> <quote>
> The first step in this process is to stop thinking about your computing
> needs by the specific applications that you use. Instead, begin thinking
> in terms of the task that you use those apps to complete.
> </quote>
>
> Preach it brother!  This is a healthy conceptual correction even if one
> isn't switching OSs.
>
> Apparently Tom's readers spend must of their time downloading stuff. :)
> That is what the app review section would lead one to believe.  Odd.
>
> I'll guess that collecting software goes
back to the early days of M$, when people
wanted a copy of everything, whether they
needed it or not, because it was "free."

As long as you didn't get caught anyway.
But I agree, many people are still in that
mode - more interested in their machines
than what they expect to do with them.
The two can be related, but apparently
that's often not the case.  Just getting
something because it's new is apparently
a hard habit to break, even those the
word "free" has a literal meaning today,
and people can pick up things whenever
they actually need them.

    -- Bob